At home, we tend to get drawn towards snacks more than often, despite knowing how unhealthy deep-fried and crispy things are. When the lockdown was announced in March almost everyone stocked up their kitchen with food supplies and snacks of several variants, but with the lockdown getting extended 3 more times, all we could do was buy food items, and so we bought them and ate them in abundance.
I had spent a good time during these couple of months munching on some not-so-healthy foods, and cooking and eating a lot of high-calorie foods, so I decided to gradually shift back to healthy eating habits. The idea of healthy eating is synonymous to less snacking. In case you have a tough time to tame your snacking desires, give your snacks a healthy twist as I did. I prepared and stored some beetroot chips which are completely chemical-free and prepared using all readily available items in the kitchen.
Take a look at this simple one-ingredient recipe and try it to turn around your unhealthy lifestyle one step at a time.
Beetroot – 500gm
Edible coconut oil – 1 tbsp
Chat masala – 2 tsp
Salt – 2 tsp
And a whole lot of sunlight!
- Peel the beetroot, slice them up into round chips and wash them thoroughly.
- Lay out the chips separately (not overlapping one another) on a plate, sprinkle some salt on them and sundry them. (You will need 2-3 plates depending on their size)
- Remember to toss them around for even distribution of sunlight. (I’d recommend to leave them out in the sun for at least 2 hours)
- Bring them back and add them to a large bowl.
- Sprinkle about 2 tsp edible coconut oil to the chips and give it a gentle toss. The oil must coat the chips on both sides.
- Sprinkle the chaat masala on the chips and toss the bowl to spread the masala evenly.
- Now, in a baking tray lay out the chips and grill them for 7 minutes each side.
- Take out the crispy chips hot from the oven and enjoy a yummy evening snack! 🙂
Bonus: You can also store them for days!
[…] the form of curry, chips, stir-fried with peas and carrots, or juice, is a brilliant source of immunity boosters. Beetroot […]